Staff Civil Engineer – Water Resources
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented staff civil engineer to support expansion of our water resources team.
As a member of the R&M team, the staff civil engineer will assist with water resources design, and provide hydrologic and hydraulic analysis support on highway, street, airport and site development projects. Hydrologic and hydraulic analysis efforts will include the calculation and estimation of peak and average runoff and stream flow; open channel, bridge, culvert and storm drain hydraulic calculations; analyses of scour and sediment transport; and design of erosion control. Duties will also include production of written documentation of analysis and design efforts, and support in the development of reports, plans, specifications and estimates when required. Responsibilities include coordinating project deliverables with other disciplines.
This is an on-site position with occasional field work for hydrologic and hydraulic data collection.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Staff Civil Engineer will report to the Group Manager of Site Development & Water Resources and to a Senior Project Civil Engineer or Project Civil Engineer on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization.
On Any Given Day
On a typical day, the staff civil engineer will:
- Work on several projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with other team members of multi-discipline design teams and clients to resolve technical challenges, while advancing project design development and delivery.
- Prepare quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates, in support of bidding and construction.
- Assist with inspections and assessments of existing infrastructure, identifying maintenance or repair needs and providing recommendations.
- Assist in preparing engineering reports and permit applications in support of agency plan review and construction permitting.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by multi-discipline team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public, client and team meetings and workshops.
- Prepare written communications and attend in client and team meetings.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering, with one to three years of experience and a desire to work in water resources. The successful candidate will have an EIT certificate or be able to obtain within six months of hire.
Experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D is desirable, as well as basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, TR-55, SWMM, and FishXing preferred, but not required.
All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate will be collaborative, self-motivated and detail oriented.
Applicants must have a valid Alaska driver’s license.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.