Senior Project Engineer – Surface Transportation
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a collaborative, team-oriented senior project engineer to join our growing Surface Transportation Group. Recent and ongoing Surface Transportation work includes the Dalton Highway MP 18-37 Reconstruction, Airport Way West Improvements, Sterling Highway MP 45-60 Reconstruction – Phase 1B, Fairview Loop Road Rehabilitation, Skagway State Street Pavement Rehabilitation, Ketchikan Water Street Trestle No. 1 Replacement, and Seward Highway/Alyeska Highway Intersection Improvements.
As a member of the R&M team, the senior project engineer will be responsible for oversight of project design work. The successful applicant must be able to apply theories, principles and practices of highway engineering. Our projects typically involve preparing studies, plans, specifications and estimates for the design of highways, streets and other related facilities.
The successful applicant will manage the productivity of technical staff, including training employees, assigning work tasks and ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget. Duties include supervising project engineers, staff engineers, technicians and interns, and coordinating deliverables with other disciplines to meet client schedules. The senior project engineer will participate in project management, marketing, recruiting and project, client and public meetings.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Surface Transportation Group Manager.
On Any Given Day
- Work on multiple surface transportation projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with team members and clients to resolve technical challenges.
- Supervise and guide project design development with project engineers, staff engineers and interns.
- Review designs, plan drawings, engineering reports and other contract deliverables for feasibility, technical accuracy and quality.
- Track project progress within established project scope, budget and schedules and alert project manager of any issues that may affect them.
- Support other groups on design projects as workload dictates.
- Prepare written communications and participate in client and team meetings.
- Conduct research and write technical portions of proposals to assist in bringing in new work.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 15 or more years of experience in civil design work, with emphasis in highway and street design. Other desirable qualifications include experience in traffic engineering, developing utility agreements and hydrology. The ideal candidate will have experience on projects for the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities and/or the Municipality of Anchorage Project Management & Engineering Department. Applicants should be proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D and have basic skills in Microsoft Project, Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment and strong written and verbal communication skills. Applicants must have an Alaska PE or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.