Project Engineer – Utilities
In A Nutshell
R&M is seeking a motivated team-oriented civil engineer to join our Utilities Group. R&M’s Utilities Group works on a variety of challenging projects for clients throughout Alaska, including the Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, University of Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, City of Seward and others. Recent projects include the AWWU Baronoff Booster Station Facility, AWWU 900 Reservoir & Transmission Main Project, Cordova Waterline Relocations, City of Seward Water & Sewer Extensions, Port of Alaska Petroleum and Cement Terminal Water System, and various preliminary engineering studies throughout rural Alaska.
The project engineer will lead the design of utilities projects. Tasks generally include developing and drafting design concepts and details, writing engineering reports, making recommended design solutions, and preparing final plans, specifications and cost estimates for construction bidding. Work includes site visits and travel to rural locations for hands-on inspection and testing of utility systems. During construction, tasks typically include technical support, submittal reviews and milestone site inspections.
The successful applicant will design utility projects including piping plan & profiles, hydraulic calculations, booster stations, lift stations, utility services and other unique design solutions. Work may also include grading, drainage, utility services and roadway infrastructure connections in accordance with the appropriate design standards. Responsibilities will include supervising staff engineers, technicians and interns, and coordinating project deliverables with other disciplines.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Project Engineer will report to the Utilities Group Manager on a day-to-day basis and to Senior Project Engineers, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Proactively collaborate with multi-discipline design teams and clients to resolve technical challenges, while advancing project design development and delivery.
- Develop water and sewer plan and profiles; utility facility layout, including booster stations and sewer lift stations; water and wastewater treatment facilities; hydraulic calculations; and other tasks using advanced 3D design software
- Create technically accurate, quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates in accordance with client and industry standards.
- Prepare engineering reports and permit applications in support of agency plan review and permitting.
- Prepare graphics, figures and materials for public, client and team meetings and workshops.
- Prepare written communications and participate in client and team meetings.
- Continuously track project progress within the established scope, budget and schedule, and alert the project manager and team of issues that may affect them.
- Assist the marketing team with research and writing technical portions of proposals
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil engineering, with an emphasis on utilities. Other desirable qualifications include experience writing engineering reports, water and sewer system layout and design, hydraulic modeling and permitting. The successful applicant will be proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D and Microsoft Office. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment. The successful applicant will have strong written and verbal communication skills. Applicants must have an Alaska Professional Engineering License or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.