Project Engineer – Construction Administration
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for team-oriented Project Engineers with an interest in construction engineering to support construction administration projects throughout Alaska. R&M is an Alaska-leader in construction administration and oversight. Our work supports airport, highway, railroad and waterfront construction projects, as well as structural vertical and industrial projects. We offer these services to a variety of clients including the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, Alaska Railroad Corporation and many municipal governments.
As a member of the R&M team, the Project Engineer will be responsible for administration of federal and state-funded construction contracts, including overseeing day-to-day construction operations. Tasks generally include serving as the Owner’s On-Site Representative, corresponding with construction contractors, issuing change orders and directives, processing pay estimates, performing field engineering and managing R&M field staff.
This work is often seasonal and typically requires overtime hours. Travel within Alaska will be required. The ideal candidate will be willing to work in remote project locations throughout the state for extended periods of time during construction season. The Project Engineer will report to a Senior Project Engineer or Senior Project Manager on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Perform construction engineering and overall administration of construction agreements.
- Manage and oversee office, inspection and materials testing staff.
- Work as a project team leader, under the direction of a Project Manager.
- Observe contractor operations while enforcing construction contract documentation to ensure quality infrastructure improvements.
- Provide construction services on a broad range of construction projects, including highways, bridges, drainage systems, utilities, airfields, railways, and ports and harbors.
- Administer project documentation and audit trails to ensure funding participation.
- Prepare written communications and participate in weekly contractor progress meetings, safety meetings, and client and team meetings.
- Develop supporting documentation for contract changes, directives and contractor clarifications.
The position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering, plus 5 to 10 years of experience administering civil construction projects, with an emphasis in highway, airport and waterfront facilities. Experience on federally-funded (FHWA, FAA) Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities construction administration projects is desirable. The successful applicant should also have experience in materials testing (WAQTC certification is desirable), hold an AK-CESCL certification, and have basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working with client owners and contractors all within a dynamic team environment. Alaska P.E. desirable, but not required.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.