Project Civil Engineer – Water Resources
In A Nutshell
R&M is seeking a motivated team-oriented civil engineer to support expansion of our water resources team.
As a member of the R&M team, the project civil engineer will perform analysis and design tasks related to water resources and will also provide hydrologic and hydraulic analysis support on highway, street, airport and site development projects. Hydrologic and hydraulic analysis efforts will include the calculation and estimation of peak and average runoff and stream flow; open channel, bridge, culvert and storm drain hydraulic calculations; analyses of scour and sediment transport; and design of erosion control. Duties will also include production of written documentation of analysis and design efforts, and development of reports, plans, specifications and estimates when required and in accordance with the appropriate design standards. Responsibilities include supervising staff civil engineers and civil interns, and coordinating project deliverables with other disciplines.
This is an on-site position with occasional field work for hydrologic and hydraulic data collection.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Project Civil Engineer will report to the Group Manager of Site Development & Water Resources on a day-to-day basis.
On Any Given Day
On a typical day, the project civil engineer will:
- Work on several projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with other team members of design teams and clients to resolve technical challenges, while advancing project design development and delivery.
- Supervise and develop hydrologic and hydraulic models in accordance with client and industry standards.
- Conduct inspections and assessments of existing infrastructure, identifying maintenance or repair needs, and providing recommendations.
- Create technically accurate, quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates, detailing project scope in support of bidding and construction.
- Prepare engineering reports and permit applications in support of agency plan review and construction permitting.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by multi-discipline team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public, client and team meetings and workshops.
- Prepare written communications and participate in client and team meetings.
- Guide design development and track progress within established scope, budgets and schedules, and alert the project manager and team of issues that may affect them.
- Conduct research and write technical portions of proposals to assist in bringing in new work.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil engineering, with 3 to 5 years of specialized experience working in water resources. HEC-RAS modeling experience is desired. Proficiency with Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis, HEC-HMS, TR-55, SWMM, and FishXing preferred, but not required.
The successful applicant will have basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills.
Applicants must have an Alaska Professional Engineering License or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire. Applicants must have a valid Alaska driver’s license.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.