Staff Civil Engineer – Site Development
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented staff civil engineer to support our Site Development Group. The firm works on site design projects for a variety of clients throughout Alaska, including the University of Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department, Anchorage School District and many others. Representative projects include the UAA Alaska Airlines Center, Homer Airport Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting facility, Girdwood Health Clinic and Chanshtnu Park.
As a member of R&M’s site development team, the staff engineer will assist with design of urban and rural site development projects throughout Alaska. Site design elements often include site layout, vehicle and pedestrian access, ADA access, driveways and parking, signing and striping, grading and drainage, stormwater analysis and management, and water and sewer utility services connections. Tasks typically also include development code research and analysis, permit document preparation, site and grading modeling, water and sewer utility design, and plan set preparation associated with these projects. Duties will include occasional field work for site visits, pre-design condition assessments and construction site inspections.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Staff Civil Engineer will report to the Site Development Group Manager and to a Senior Project Engineer or Project Engineer on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Work on several projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with project engineers on multi-discipline design teams to resolve technical challenges, while advancing project design development and delivery.
- Develop site layout, grading, drainage and utility service designs using advanced 3D design software in accordance with client and industry standards.
- Create technically accurate, quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates, detailing project scope in support of bidding and construction.
- Perform development code reviews and engineering analysis, prepare engineering reports and permit application documents in support of agency plan review and construction permitting.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by multi-discipline team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public/client meetings, workshops, and project team meetings.
- Prepare written communications and participate in team meetings.
- Participate in design development and track progress within established scope, budgets and schedules and alert the project engineer of issues that may affect them.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering. The successful candidate will have an EIT certificate or be able to obtain within six months of hire. Prior engineering work experience or internship in the areas of general civil engineering is preferable. Experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D is desirable, as well as basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a team environment, and strong written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate will be collaborative, self-motivated and detail oriented.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.