Staff Civil Engineer – Construction Administration
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for team-oriented staff civil engineers with an interest in construction to support construction administration projects throughout Alaska. R&M is an Alaska-leader in construction administration and oversight. Our work supports airport, highway, railroad and waterfront construction projects, as well as structural vertical and industrial projects. We offer these services to a variety of clients including the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, Alaska Railroad Corporation and many municipal governments.
As a member of the R&M team, the staff civil engineer will assist with the administration of federal and state-funded construction contracts, including overseeing day-to-day construction operations. Tasks generally include serving as Owner’s On-Site Representative, corresponding with construction contractors, issuing change orders and directives, processing pay estimates, and performing field engineering, inspections and materials testing as part of a construction administration team.
This work is often seasonal and typically requires overtime hours. Travel within Alaska will be required. The ideal candidate will be willing to work in remote project locations throughout Alaska for extended periods of time during construction season.
The Staff Engineer will report to a Project Engineer or Senior Project Engineer on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Perform construction engineering, inspection and oversight on infrastructure improvement projects.
- Work as part of a project team, under the direction of a Project Engineer.
- Observe contractor operations while enforcing construction contract documentation to ensure quality infrastructure improvements.
- Provide construction administration support on a broad range of construction projects, including highways, bridges, drainage systems, utilities, airfields, railways, and ports and harbors.
- Assist with preparation of project documentation and audit trails to ensure funding participation.
- Prepare written communications and participate in weekly contractor progress meetings, safety meetings, and client and team meetings.
- Assist with development of supporting documentation for contract changes, directives and contractor clarifications.
- Test for acceptance of incorporated materials, including soils, aggregates, Portland cement concrete and asphalt concrete pavements.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering or a closely related discipline. The successful applicant must have an EIT certificate or be able to obtain within six months of hire. Experience administering civil construction projects, with an emphasis in highway, airport, railroad and waterfront facilities is desirable. Experience in materials testing, with WAQTC certification, and SWPPP inspection experience would be an added bonus. All applicants should have basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working with client owners and contractors within a dynamic team environment.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.