Project Engineer – Surface Transportation
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented project civil engineer to support our growing Surface Transportation Group. Recent and ongoing surface transportation includes the Dalton Highway MP 18-37, Airport Way West Improvements, Sterling Highway MP 45-60 Reconstruction – Phase 1B, Fairview Loop Road Rehabilitation, Ketchikan Water Street Trestle No. 1 Replacement, Skagway State Street Pavement Rehabilitation and Seward Highway/Alyeska Highway Intersection Improvements.
As a member of the R&M team, the project engineer will perform analysis and design tasks related to surface transportation projects. During the design process, tasks generally include initiating and developing technical design concepts and details, studies and recommended design solutions, and preparing final plans, specifications and cost estimates in accordance with the appropriate design standards. During construction, tasks typically include technical support, submittals reviews and milestone site inspections.
Additional responsibilities include supervising staff engineers, technicians and interns, and coordinating project deliverables with other team members.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Project Engineer will report to the Surface Transportation Group Manager on a day-to-day basis and to Senior Project Engineers, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Work on multiple surface transportation projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with team members and clients to resolve technical challenges.
- Develop roadway and highway designs using advanced 3D design software in accordance with client and industry standards.
- Create technically accurate designs, quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with staff engineers and interns on project design development and assembly of contract deliverables.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public and client meetings, workshops, charrettes and project team meetings.
- Support other groups with design as dictated by workload.
- Prepare written communications and participate in client and team meetings.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil design work, with an emphasis on highway and street design. Other desirable qualifications include experience in written design analysis, traffic engineering, drainage design and preparation of final construction bid documents. Applicants should be proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D and have basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment and strong written and verbal communication skills. Applicants must have an Alaska PE or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.