Project Engineer – Site Development
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented project civil engineer to join our Site Development Group. The firm’s experience includes site design projects for a variety of clients throughout Alaska, including the University of Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department, Anchorage School District and many others. Representative projects include the UAA Alaska Airlines Center, Homer Airport Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Facility, Girdwood Health Clinic and Chanshtnu Park.
The project engineer will perform analysis and design tasks related to site development projects. Tasks generally include initiating and developing technical-level design concepts and details, studies and recommended design solutions, and preparing final plans, specifications and cost estimates for construction bidding. During construction, tasks typically include technical support, submittal reviews and milestone site inspections.
The successful applicant will assist in the development of site design analysis and site layout plans, including grading, drainage, utility services and roadway infrastructure connections in accordance with the appropriate design standards. Responsibilities will include supervising staff engineers, technicians and interns, and coordinating project deliverables with other disciplines.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Project Engineer will report to a Senior Project Engineer on a day-to-day basis and based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Work on several projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with other team members of multi-discipline design teams and clients to resolve technical challenges, while advancing project design development and delivery.
- Supervise and develop site layout, grading, drainage and utility service designs using advanced 3D design software in accordance with client and industry standards.
- Create technically accurate, quality engineering drawings, specifications and construction cost estimates, detailing project scope in support of bidding and construction.
- Perform development code reviews and engineering analysis.
- Prepare engineering reports and permit applications in support of agency plan review and construction permitting.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by multi-discipline team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public, client and team meetings and workshops.
- Prepare written communications and participate in client and team meetings.
- Guide design development and track progress within established scope, budgets and schedules, and alert the project manager and team of issues that may affect them.
- Conduct research and write technical portions of proposals to assist in bringing in new work.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil design work, with an emphasis on site design. Other desirable qualifications include experience in written design analysis, drainage impact analysis, site accessibility analysis and commercial development permitting. The successful applicant will be proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D and have basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment. The successful applicant will have strong written and verbal communication skills. Applicants must have an Alaska PE or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.