Project Engineer – Airports
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented project civil engineer to join our growing Airport Engineering Group. Recent and ongoing airport work includes the Newtok Airport Relocation, Bethel Airport Main Runway Reconstruction, Nanwalek-Port Graham Airport Relocation, Nome Airport Rehabilitation, Kotzebue Airport Runway Settlement Repair and many others.
As a member of the R&M Airports team, the project engineer will perform analysis and design tasks for airport and other civil engineering-related work. Project tasks may include site investigations, evaluations, planning, studies, feasibility reports, preliminary engineering, design development, specification writing, construction document preparation and construction phase support services.
The successful applicant will supervise staff engineers, technicians and interns, and coordinate project deliverables with other project engineers, senior project engineers and other project disciplines.
The project engineer will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The project engineer will report to the Airport Engineering Group Manager on a day-to-day basis, and based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Work on several projects simultaneously, proactively collaborating with other team members to advance project design development and delivery.
- Resolve technical challenges.
- Supervise and develop airport and roadway designs using advanced 3D design software in accordance with client and industry standards
- Create technically accurate, quality engineering drawings, specifications and estimates, detailing project scope in support of bidding and construction.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by team members and vet for incorporation into design.
- Assist with written communications, preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public, client and team meetings, workshops and charrettes.
- Participate in client and team meetings.
- Guide design development and track progress within established scope, budgets and schedules, and alert the project manager and team of issues that may affect them.
- Conduct research and write technical portions of proposals to assist in bringing in new work.
- Train and share knowledge with staff engineers and other team members in airport design, 3D design, and R&M and client standards.
- Travel to project sites for pre-design assessment, construction inspections and project closeouts.
- Travel for professional development and recruitment opportunities.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil design, with an emphasis on airport, site civil and/or surface transportation design. Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D is desired, as well as basic skills in various Microsoft Office products. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment and possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Alaska PE required or able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.