Staff Civil Engineer (Waterfront)
Staff Civil Engineer
R&M is seeking a team-oriented staff engineer to support our Waterfront Engineering Group. The firm’s experience includes waterfront engineering for a variety of clients throughout Alaska, including the Port of Alaska, City of Valdez, City of Seward, City of Homer, Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, City of Cordova and City of Saint Paul, among others. Recent and ongoing work includes the Port of Alaska Petroleum Cement Terminal, Cordova South Harbor Rebuild, Saint Paul Harbor Improvements Feasibility Study, Seward Small Boat Harbor Cathodic Protection, Haines Lutak Dock Grant Support and Palmer Pier (Antarctica) Replacement.
As a member of R&M’s Waterfront Engineering team, the staff engineer will assist with civil and structural design of port and harbor development projects, including docks, wharfs, marina float systems, boat launch and barge loading ramps, breakwaters and erosion control projects. This may include civil and structural facility design, coastal modeling, dredging design, corrosion protection, water and sewer utilities, and upland site development associated with these projects. Duties will include occasional field work for pre-design condition assessments and construction site inspections.
The successful applicant will be expected to represent R&M and actively participate in professional organizations and community activities.
The Staff Civil Engineer will report to the Waterfront Engineering Group Manager and to a Senior Project Engineer on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On any given day, the staff engineer may perform the following tasks:
- Prepare AutoCAD based design drawings and details, including a wide range of items from site plans to structural details.
- Prepare AutoCAD based plan set drawing packages in various client standard formats. Organize the plan sets by discipline and in a way to logically and clearly communicate design intent.
- Prepare project specifications and contract documents in various client standard formats.
- Coordinate with various in-house and subconsultant disciplines, including survey, geotechnical, environmental, mechanical, electrical, civil, architectural and structural.
- Print or publish progress and review set packages, including plans, specifications and engineer’s estimates. Participate in design review and adjudication of comments and suggestions.
- Participate in bid support and construction administration, including preparation of addenda, responding to RFIs, and reviewing change orders and pay requests.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering with an E.I.T. certificate. Prior engineering work experience or internship in the areas of general civil, structural and/or waterfront engineering projects is preferable. Experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D and REVIT is desirable, as well as basic skills in Microsoft Office. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a team environment, and strong written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate will be collaborative, self-motivated and detail oriented.
Please submit R&M Employment Application, EEO Form (optional), Cover Letter, and Resume to:
R&M Consultants, Inc.
9101 Vanguard Drive
Anchorage, Alaska 99507