Senior GIS Specialist
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented senior GIS specialist to join our team. R&M’s GIS staff supports a wide range of planning, survey, geotechnical, environmental and engineering design projects. Recent GIS work has included development and implementation of a GIS asset management system at the Port of Alaska; development of a Geospatial Facilities Management System Implementation Concept Plan for the University of Alaska Anchorage; development of a pedestrian bridge inventory database for the Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department; and geospatial data collection, acquisition, interpretation and data reviews, and cartographic standards development and documentation for a wide range of infrastructure projects to support clients throughout Alaska
As a member of R&M’s Geomatics team, the senior GIS specialist will provide exemplary personalized service to internal and external clients, and function within an interdisciplinary environment that includes dedicated geospatial, environmental, planning, geological and engineering professionals. The successful applicant must be able to interpret, analyze and create data to support GIS projects, as well as research, acquire, collate and reconcile spatial and non-spatial data from a variety of sources into effective maps, charts and reports. The senior GIS specialist will be responsible for ESRI licensing administration and providing GIS support for staff with a variety of GIS skill levels.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Senior GIS Specialist will report to the Vice President of Geomatics or other project managers on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Serve as a working project manager for GIS projects and tasks within larger multi-discipline projects.
- Assist other disciplines that use GIS within their daily operations.
- Supervise and develop a company-wide GIS of past projects and historical data.
- Market and develop R&M’s GIS services.
- Review technical reports and recommendations prepared by team members and analyze for incorporation into projects.
- Assist with preparation of graphics, figures and other materials for public, client and team meets, workshops and charrettes.
- Perform complex data analysis using ArcGIS and related extensions/add-ons, relational databases and other computer software.
- Guide project development and track progress within established scope, budgets and schedules, and alert the project manager and team of issues that may affect them.
- Conduct research and write technical portions of proposals to assist in bringing in new work.
We prefer that candidates have a B.A. or B.S. in Geomatics, Geology, Civil Engineering or a related field and 10 or more years of experience with ESRI ArcGIS, including ArcPro, ArcOnline and GIs servers. Additional experience with AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and Microsoft Word, Excel and Access is a plus. The successful candidate will be collaborative and have good interpersonal skills for working in a competitive, dynamic team environment. All applicants should possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Certification as a GIS Professional is preferred.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.