Project Engineer – Waterfront Engineering
In A Nutshell
R&M is seeking a team-oriented project civil engineer to support our Waterfront Engineering Group. The firm’s experience includes waterfront engineering for a variety of clients throughout Alaska, including the Port of Alaska, Haines Borough, City of Valdez, City of Seward, City of Homer, Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, City of Cordova, City of Saint Paul and others. Recent and ongoing work includes the Port of Alaska Petroleum Cement Terminal, Cordova South Harbor Rebuild, Saint Paul Harbor Improvements Feasibility Study, Seward Small Boat Harbor Cathodic Protection, Haines Lutak Dock Grant Support and Palmer Pier (Antarctica) Replacement.
As a member of R&M’s Waterfront Engineering team, the project engineer will be responsible for civil and structural design of port and harbor development projects, including docks, wharfs, marina float systems, boat launch and barge loading ramps, breakwaters and erosion control projects. This may include civil and structural analysis, coastal modeling, dredging design, corrosion protection, water and sewer utilities, and other upland site development associated with these projects. Duties will include occasional field work for pre-design condition assessments and construction site inspections.
The successful applicant will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities.
The Project Engineer will report to the Waterfront Engineering Group Manager and to Senior Project Engineers on a day-to-day basis, depending on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Prepare AutoCAD-based design drawings and details, including a wide range of items from site plans to structural details.
- Prepare AutoCAD-based plan set drawing packages in various client standard formats. Organize the plan sets by discipline and in a way to logically and clearly communicate design intent.
- Prepare project specifications and contract documents in various client standard formats.
- Coordinate with various in-house and subconsultant disciplines, including survey, geotechnical, environmental, mechanical, electrical, civil, architectural and structural.
- Print or public progress and review set packages, including plans, specifications and engineer’s estimates. Participate in design review and adjudication of comments and suggestions.
- Participate in bid support and construction administration, including preparing addenda, responding to RFIs and reviewing change orders and pay requests.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering and 5 to 10 years of experience in civil design work, with emphasis in waterfront and/or structural design. Applications must have experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D and basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Additional software skills, including REVIT, RISA, MathCAD, SAP2000, SWAN or coastal modeling packages such as MIKE21 or other DHI modules, are desirable. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a team environment and strong written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate will be collaborative, self-motivated and detail oriented. All applicants should have an Alaska PE or be able to obtain by reciprocity within six months of hire.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.