In a Nutshell
R&M is looking for a team-oriented planner to join our growing Planning Department. Our team works in a wide variety of planning disciplines, including long-range comprehensive, transportation, site development and permitting, and area-specific and master plans, all with strong emphasis on community engagement. Recent and ongoing work includes long-range transportation plans, active transportation and safety plans and their implementation, transit plans, area plans, corridor plans and studies, land use and housing feasibility studies, recreational trails planning, and park master planning. Public involvement is a regular aspect of our planning-led work and supports other R&M and client efforts, including for roadway and airport design projects, utility improvements and grant applications for Alaskan communities.
As a member of the R&M planning team, the planner will apply policy and land use regulation knowledge on a project basis working with planners, surveyors, engineers and landscape architects to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and meet community needs. This position will also engage directly with project stakeholders and provide public involvement support through facilitation of advisory groups, community workshops and open houses, agency coordination meetings, and presentations to boards, commissions and community councils.
The successful applicant will thrive in a multi-discipline firm environment that works with communities across Alaska to improve livability through thoughtful planning and project development.
The planner will be expected to actively participate and represent R&M in professional organizations and community activities. The planner will report to the Planning Department Manager on a day-to-day basis based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
On a typical day, the planner will:
- Research, compile data and analyze information on various projects, including site plans, land use and zoning applications, parks and trails, transportation planning and design projects, and area and comprehensive plans.
- Coordinate with agencies, other staff, subconsultants and clients to obtain, develop and communicate project information.
- Review, evaluate and summarize adopted plans and policies, for project applicability, compatibility and compliance.
- Research and evaluate pertinent local, state and federal legislation, including land use regulations.
- Write project notices, documents and reports for various audiences, including clients and the public.
- Assist with grant writing, research and coordination on critical infrastructure projects.
- Prepare for and assist with public and agency meetings.
- Prepare content for communication tools for public engagement, including fact sheets, presentations and project websites.
- Provide project updates to community councils, elected officials, and other entities or individuals and present projects for approval before decision-making bodies.
- Collect, manage, analyze and respond to public comments on projects.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in urban, community, regional or transportation planning, or a closely-related discipline. One or more years of professional experience is strongly desired. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is required, and knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign; website platforms; and Constant Contact is a plus. Must possess a basic understanding of GIS principles as applied to planning. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working in a dynamic team environment and possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Brief trips throughout Alaska and occasional evening work should be expected, for attending public meetings and hosting project public workshops.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.