Engineering Technician (Laboratory)
In A Nutshell
R&M CONSULTANTS, INC. is a well-established, employee-owned multi-discipline Alaskan professional services firm. Since 1969, R&M has participated in some of Alaska’s most significant and technically challenging infrastructure projects. R&M’s Materials Engineering Laboratory is a leading provider of materials testing services throughout Alaska. We serve a variety of clients in the public and private sectors.
R&M is looking for an Engineering Technician to supplement our Materials Laboratory staff. R&M is a leading provider of construction materials testing services throughout Alaska. We serve a variety of clients in the public and private sectors.
As a member of the R&M team, the Engineering Technician will perform materials testing on a daily basis. The Engineering Technician will be responsible for the consistency and quality of laboratory tests. The successful applicant will be responsible for performing AASHTO, ASTM, WAQTC and ATM materials testing procedures. The Engineering Technician will also be responsible for equipment maintenance, calibration and timely performance of assigned duties.
This work is seasonal and typically requires overtime hours. Although this position is anticipated to be in R&M’s Anchorage laboratory, travel within Alaska may be required. The ideal candidate(s) will be willing to work in project locations throughout Alaska for extended periods of time during construction season. The Engineering Technician will report to R&M’s Materials Laboratory Supervisor.
On Any Given Day
- Work as part of a laboratory team, under direction of the laboratory supervisor.
- Perform day-to-day lab testing on aggregates, soils, concrete and asphalt.
- Complete test reports with calculations and submit to the laboratory supervisor.
- Perform field testing to include compaction density testing, in-place concrete testing, aggregate and soils testing.
- Communicate written reports to clients for field testing or inspection.
The ideal candidate will have two or more years of experience performing tests on relevant materials. The applicant shall be able to demonstrate, either by oral or written examination, their ability to perform the tests normally required in the manner stipulated under the governing test procedures and shall be capable of evaluating the test results in terms of specification compliance. Good basic math skills are required. High School diploma or equivalent and a valid Alaska Driver’s license is required.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.