Engineering Associate (Field) – Office Engineer, Grade/Paving Inspector
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for Engineering Associates to support construction administration projects throughout Alaska. R&M is an Alaska-leader in construction administration and oversight. Our work supports airport, highway, railroad and waterfront construction projects, as well as structural vertical and industrial projects. We offer these services to a variety of clients including the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, Alaska Railroad Corporation and many municipal governments.
As a member of the R&M team, the Engineering Associate will perform field inspection and/or office engineering duties under supervision of the Project Engineer or a higher-level inspector/staff engineer. The Engineering Associate will assure construction work is completed in accordance with plans, specifications and established procedures. Field inspectors will be required to understand and interpret construction documents and document project activities through written reports, photos and verbal communications. Additional responsibilities may include SWPPP inspection, materials testing, ticket taking and other field duties as assigned. When assigned to the construction office, the Engineering Associate will calculate pay quantities, prepare and/or check pay estimates, track submittals; check certified payrolls and perform other office duties as assigned.
This work is seasonal and typically requires overtime hours. Travel within Alaska will be required. The ideal candidate(s) must be willing to work in remote project locations throughout Alaska for extended periods of time during construction season.
The Engineering Associate will report to a Project Engineer or higher level inspector/staff engineer on a day-to-day basis, based on team organization for specific projects.
On Any Given Day
- Perform construction inspection and oversight on infrastructure improvement projects.
- Work as part of a project team, under direction of a Project Engineer.
- Observe and document contractor operations, while enforcing construction contract documentation to ensure quality infrastructure improvements.
- Provide construction administration support on a broad range of construction projects, including highways, bridges, drainage systems, utilities, airfields, railways, and ports and harbors.
- Assist with preparation of project documentation and audit trails to ensure funding participation.
- Prepare written communications and participate in weekly contractor progress meetings, safety meetings, and client and team meetings.
- Assist with development of supporting documentation for contract changes, directives and contractor clarifications.
The ideal candidate will have two to five years of progressive construction administration experience. Experience on federally-funded (FHWA, FAA) Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities projects a plus. Current AK-CESCL, WAQTC certification and ATSSA certification is preferred. Good basic math and communication skills are required. A high school diploma or equivalent and valid Alaska Driver’s License are required. All candidates should have good interpersonal abilities for working with client owners and contractors within a dynamic team environment.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.