Civil Engineering Intern
In A Nutshell
R&M is looking for team-oriented civil engineering interns to support a variety of civil engineering projects throughout Alaska. R&M is an Alaska leader in civil infrastructure design. Our work supports airport, highway, utility, waterfront, structural and site development for clients such as the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, Municipality of Anchorage and many other local governments throughout Alaska.
As a member of the R&M team, civil engineering interns are introduced to various infrastructure projects, their unique development processes, and foundational design concepts through a private consultant perspective. Interns are taught the basics of design and connectedness to industry and client standards and requirements, as well as the basic computer and program skills required to perform design activities. Interns will be assigned discrete, technical subtasks in support of larger tasks under the direction of a professional engineer. Civil engineering interns will benefit from direct involvement in the design and project development process and observe first-hand how projects are designed. Civil engineering interns will be considered for full-time employment upon graduation.
This work is seasonal and may require overtime hours and travel within Alaska. Civil engineering interns will report to a Project Engineer or Senior Project Engineer as assigned.
On Any Given Day
- Work as part of a project team, under direction of a Project Engineer or Senior Project Engineer.
- Perform technical calculations to determine quantities of work using MS Excel spreadsheets and AutoCAD software.
- Use AutoCAD to create, edit and revise technical drawings as part of engineered plan set assembly.
- Assist with preparation of project documentation and QC calculations to ensure technically correct and accurate designs and drawings.
- Participate in weekly project progress meetings, safety meetings and client team meetings and project site visits.
- Assist with development of supporting documentation for project design tasks.
Must be a civil engineering student in good standing at a University accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. Ideally design interns will be rising senior standing. A valid Alaska Driver’s License is required.
Our Application Process
- Click on the Open Positions link and explore the positions we are currently looking to fill. Click on the arrow to find out more about each position.
- If you think you’re a match, click the “Apply Now” button to fill out the application form and upload your cover letter and resume.
- Don’t see a position that fits you? Send us your resume anyway. We are always looking for good people to join our team. Or, you can subscribe to our jobs email list and get R&M’s latest job openings in your inbox.
- It is our goal to respond to every candidate. If you are being considered for a position, you will receive a telephone call or e-mail to schedule an interview. Our process typically involves multiple interviews. We will actively communicate with you throughout the hiring process.